True custom cabinets are cabinets which have been custom designed and custom made for your specific requirements. There are many custom manufacturers of kitchen cabinets. Some of the larger custom manufacturers don’t allow the options of smaller manufacturers. It is recommended to find a custom cabinet manufacturer to design a custom kitchen for you that is in your general area. Otherwise, if you can’t find a good custom manufacturer in your area, then try to find a dealer that has a reputation of good service and that represents a quality made custom cabinet line.
Some of the custom cabinet manufacturers do not offer truly custom cabinets. Many actually have several limitations which you don’t start to realize until you are trying to finalize your design. Some examples of restrictions may include: Wood Species, available accessories, height restrictions, color limitations, specialty finishing limitations(such as Rub Through, Glaze, Distress, Crackle Finish).
A good way to find a custom cabinet company is to search the internet under “Custom Cabinets” and type in the general location of where you are located. You can also check with your local Better Business Bureau for Accredited Business in your area. Another nice service is called “Angies List” and although there is a small cost to their service, the members of the group are homeowners like you that rate there contractors. All the ratings are based on homeowners views of there suppliers and contractors.
The best Custom Cabinet Companies can allow you to specify the following:
1. The type of drawer box either solid dovetailed wood or metabox metal drawer boxes.
2. The type of drawer track either Full extension ball bearing tracks or undermount softclose tracks.
(Also, they should allow you to specify the brand such as Grass or Blum or KV.)
3. The type of hinge whether is 107 degree, or 165 degree or an exposed hinge or concealed hinge.
(Again, they should be able to allow you to specify the brand such as Blum, Grass, Mepla, Salice)
4. You should be able to specify the brand and style of accessory. i.e. Hafele, Rev-a shelf)
5. Specify the Wood Specie you want your cabinets to be made.
6. Modify cabinet sizes in width, height, and depth.
7. Specify the exact color and specialty finish if applicable.
8. Offer you several glass options for any glass doors whether it be clear glass, frosted glass, or decorative glass such as seedy glass or rain glass.
9. The company should also a wide selection of Split Lets, Onlays, Turnings, etc.
10. The company should be able to offer you certified installation services.
Keep in mind that it is best to have the manufacturer offer you installation because if there is any difficulties at the install they will be responsible for correcting any problems and you don’t have to worry about getting change orders from your installer. Also, sometimes the installer will install the custom cabinets improperly and actually damage the cabinets and new one may be needed to correct the problem.
Some cool stuff that custom cabinet manufacturers offer include but are not limited to the following:
Pullout pantry systems, hidden drawers and compartments, Pullout spice racks, Corbels, Onlays, Legs, Split Columns, special shaped cabinets.
If you are planning on redoing your kitchen or building a new house try to allow at least three months to plan and design your kitchen prior to ordering. Also, allow another two to three months for the cabinets to be built once the design has been finalized.